Are you taking the necessary steps to protect your smile against the risk of cavities? A cavity occurs when to dental erosion is allowed to continue over a period of time. If you experience dental erosion, it means that your tooth enamel is slowly worn down. If a hole forms, this is known as a cavity. To help prevent cavities, keep your mouth clean and free of acids that can begin to collect. Here are some tips to help prevent cavities as you age:
– Use supplemental cleaning agents such as mouthwash or sugarless chewing gum to help rinse out debris and bacteria in your mouth after meals.
– Focus on oral hygiene care that includes brushing twice a day and flossing once a day with safe and effective tools.
– Visit our dentist for biannual professional cleanings to limit the risks of dental erosion and tooth decay.
– Stay away from substances in your smile that can contribute to dental erosion, including sugary sweets and acidic snacks.
– Limit the potential for plaque buildup in your mouth, which is a thin layer of debris and bacteria that can collect on your teeth. To help remove plaque, focus on daily cleanings and regular checkups at our dentist.
Are you ready to see the effect of cavity prevention care? For more information about cavities, you can speak with Dr. Fred Chittenden and our team at by calling us at (425) 334-1934. You can schedule an appointment at the office of Lake Stevens Dental Clinic in Lake Stevens, Washington.